Your IT Watchdog

November 20, 2008

Gartner says 85 percent of companies using open source

Filed under: Uncategorized — itwatchdog @ 7:11 pm
It was a bit of a surprise to me to see such a high number in this ZDnet article, but this is a global study across the Asia/Pacific, Europe and North American markets. Gartner points out that companies should have a governance process to identify and manage the potential intellectual property risk. Finally, companies should be aware that although open source software is free, this does not mean that it has no cost …

The study says that 85 percent of companies are already using open-source software, with most of the remaining 15 percent expecting to do so within the next year, according to analysts at Gartner. In terms of the business processes for which open-source software is being used, customer service headed Gartner’s list, although enterprise integration, finance and administration and business analytics also showed strongly.

Follow-up: CIO.com has an article about this pervasiveness of open source, and concludes that Gartner is urging companies to adopt and enforce open source software (OSS) policies.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: